'Green New Deal' Is disconnected from reality. No air travel? Rebuild EVERY building in the USA?
We listened to Ms. Ocasio-Cortez present her "plan" on CSPAN Radio this morning. The freshman Congresswoman is not only totally wrong on what makes a society prosperous, she is, we hate to say it, not the brightest bulb either. This is not something we say lightly. Attacking the person instead of the policies is usually pretty rotten stuff. But as I listened to her this morning in the car, as she asserted one thing after another that just wasn't true, as she stumbled around the concept of "externalities" (Something with which we are very familiar) on NPR, she just sounded, well, not bright.
But she's good on Twitter.
Consider the lunatic (seriously) bullet points in her "Green New Deal". They look like they were created by a child. (Likely a group of children.) And we are not being snarky here just because we don't like the policies.
Literally they seem to have been crafted by someone in the 2nd grade.
1. Rebuild EVERY SINGLE BUILDING in the USA. (For real.)
2. End fossil fuel energy in 10 years. (OK, good luck with that. The Bronx will look like the ice planet Hoth for 3 months every year, or at least the people will have to dress like they live on Hoth.)
3. Ban nuclear energy with 10 years if possible. (No jobs in that industry. Not like nukes generate loads of carbon free electricity or anything. Guess wind will take over.)
4. Build high speed rail to the point that air travel is unnecessary. (Hey Delta, American, you dude's can just pack up. No jobs in that industry either.)
5. All green new deal jobs will be union, so as to make sure the tax payer pays absolute top dollar for all this nonsense.
6. The Federal Reserve will print money to pay for this insanity. Nothing says "prosperity" like a central bank printing money.
And there's more. You can see it in the attached link.
Ms. Ocasio-Cortez thinks she knows about things of which she appears to have absolutely no clue. We certainly heard that on CSPAN this morning.
But there are others who are even more ignorant who follow her. Because, hey, why not?Sounds good. Unicorns and rainbows for everyone.
Again we are not being snarky just because we disagree with her. Our beef is much more fundamental than that. There are lots of very bright people out there who disagree with us on economic and social policy. However Ms. Ocasio-Cortez does not appear to be one of them. The Green New Deal is not just "stupidly crafted". The proposed Green New Deal looks like it was crafted by stupid people.
Sorry Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, supply and demand are real. Things have a cost. You are going to have to come to terms with both concepts. (Or perhaps learn about them.)
Ok, that was just straight up snark.